Wednesday, February 27, 2013

He said that disabled children "should be put down": the councillor has apologised but refused to resign

Collin Brewer, the councillor who said disabled children "should be put down", has apologised but refused to resign, claiming he "did nothing wrong".
 
Collin Brewer, an independent councillor in Cornwall, made the remarks to Theresa Court, advice services manager with Disability Cornwall, at an equalities event at County Hall in October 2011. Court made a formal complaint against him that has only recently been resolved.
 
Brewer has complied with standards board orders to apologise but said he had no intention of resigning. He told the BBC: "Clearly it has gone to the standards board to provide any penalty whatsoever and the penalty they imposed was to write a letter of apology.
"I have no intention of resigning. I don't think I have done anything wrong. I have apologised. I have been a councillor for nearly 26 years. I have always worked to the best of my ability."
 
Disability Cornwall called for Brewer's resignation. Court said: "I remember him [Brewer] coming over and asking what the stall was about. I was explaining to him about the parent partnership service when he said disabled children should be put down. He said they cost the council too much money.
"I felt physically sick. I was there with parents of disabled children at the time and I just had to turn my back on him. He is supposed to be an elected member representing public views and acting on behalf of the public. How anyone can come out with that is just shocking."
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...